Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Whole



31 days of five minute free writes, encouragement, living


When I saw that Kate had picked the word whole for one of our prompts, the song "He's got the whole world" started playing in my brain. This was a song we sang a lot in Vacation Bible School when I was a child.

Do you remember singing this song?
He's got the whole world, in His hands,
He's got the whole world, in His hands,
He's got the whole world, in His hands, He's got the whole world in His hands

I think it was changed a bit from the original lyrics when we sang it. Verses like "He's got you and me brother, in His hands" and "He's got the Mamas and the Papas in His hands" were common for us.

What did singing songs in Vacation Bible School do for us anyway? They cemented some foundational truths through the use of music. The understanding that God covers and protects us all, and the truth that He loves us deeply. There were a lot of songs that we sang back in the 1970's that I can still sing today. Those truths have stayed with me for a long time. Childlike faith. 

Now, as an adult, I sometimes need to make a conscious effort to get back to that childlike faith. Do you need that too? May one or two of those songs you used to sing in VBS come to mind and encourage you today. Maybe it will be this one:

Jesus loves me this I know
for the Bible tells me so
little ones to Him belong
they are weak but He is strong

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so.



No comments:

Post a Comment