Friday, October 11, 2019

deep


emotional health, 31 days of October, boundaries, emotions


Emotions run deep. Hurts last until we can find a way to overcome them. Joys take us to the mountaintop, but we cannot stay there forever because we live in a fallen world where another event or emotion will come along soon.

How do we deal with the emotional roller coaster of everyday life when we haven't yet processed yesterday's emotions? It isn't easy. 

The way I have found is to start by having an honest conversation with God every evening before I fall asleep. I read from the Bible app on my phone. I have it set with low light on, so it has a black background and the words are white, but not glaringly so. Often I only read a paragraph or two, to understand the next part of what is being told, and then I click my phone off and lay back to think about what I have read.

I think about the story the verses have told, and imagine myself in the situation. What would my emotions be if I were there when Saul was confronted on the road to Damascus? Am I like Peter, who needed God to tell him three times that no person is common or unclean and that they all need to hear about Jesus?

Then I think about my day. What happened that drew me closer to God, and what got in the way? I ask God to show me how to let go of the hurts, and to hold on to the good. I ask for peace as I sleep, and strength for tomorrow. It has been a challenge to have these nightly conversations with God - it makes me look honestly at my own heart and actions from each day. Some people journal their day, I have learned freedom in praying through it and asking God to make me more like Jesus. I have a long way to go - but the road is being paved with peace, trust and joy as He removes the fear, anger, and insecurities of the past one conversation at a time.

A reminder that I often need on this road to emotional health:

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free
Rolling as a mighty ocean
In its fullness over me
Underneath me, all around me
Is the current of your love
Leading onward, leading homeward
To your glorious rest above
Oh, the deep, deep love of Jesus 
'Tis heaven of heavens to me
And it lifts me up to glory
For it lifts me up to thee
Oh, the deep, deep love of jesus 
Spread his praise from shore to shore
How he loves us, ever loves us,
Changes never, nevermore


Songwriters: Mark Ladd / Samuel T. Francis
Oh, the Deep Deep Love of Jesus lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely practice at the end of the day! (I tend to do this in the morning, but I see the wisdom in reflecting at the end as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful that Jesus never leaves us and holds us in the deep places. He loves is deeper and more restorative than any deep pain. He is good. Thank you so much for sharing. Always good to be reminded of the deep, deep love of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every day I talk to God,
    and it's usually the same:
    I need some Shoulders, really broad
    to help me stay in this game.
    In past days there was my own strength
    to push me through malignancy,
    but cancer will win through at length
    so how about some help for me?
    God you made the seas and stars,
    and you hold all in your hand.
    Help me now to call on Mars
    and bring the fight to cancer's land.
    Help me stay upon my feet
    to make this war and life complete.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2019/10/your-dying-spouse-683-keep-on-swimming.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. that my dear is a very lovely hymn... and good one to close off a night with. :)

    ReplyDelete