Friday, October 18, 2019

active


31 days of five minute free writes, emotional health

Life is not just about what you see and own, but what you do. One of the best practices for emotional health is getting outside on a daily basis. And by getting outside I do not mean the mad dash from your front door to your car door - I mean actually going outside an enjoying nature!

Walking is thera peptic for me. It gives me a chance to clear my head of whatever issue I'm dealing with (at least for a while) and focus on my surroundings. Sometimes when I walk I work to cover a lot of ground, other times I just need a stroll in the woods to focus on the natural beauty: acorns, pine needles, the colored leaves. Each day and each walk is different, but they all help my emotional health.

Occasionally I take my issues with me and I pray about them while I walk or hike. God says if we ask for wisdom, and do not doubt, He will grant it to us. (see James 1)

If the God of the universe is willing to grant me some wisdom on how to handle my emotions, and how I react to others, I need to be smart enough to accept it! Some people like to run, others swim or ride bikes. Truly, it doesn't matter if you prefer a stroll in the park or a game of ultimate frisbee - what matters is that you get ad stay active.

Exercise will not solve all your emotional problems, but it surely can help your body deal with the stress in a helpful, practical way. Get active, and remember to pray.

1 comment:

  1. i love a good walk too. I was so busy today I forgot to go....

    ReplyDelete