Tuesday, January 16, 2018

My Picture My Story ~ Alaskan Brown Bear



Here is another look back at our life through a picture...


my picture my story, alaskan brown bear, Indianapolis zoo, memories


This is picture of an Alaskan Brown Bear. There is some debate in our household over whether this is actually my picture, or Arlene's. Since it was taken on my camera, and downloaded to my computer, I'm going to claim ownership and tell you about it today.

The Indianapolis Zoo is a place the girls have enjoyed visiting since they were wee tiny things. My parents first got us a membership the year Arlene was born. Way back then the Indy Zoo had Kodiak bears in their Forests exhibit. Eventually those bears died, and there were no more bears to visit (expect the polar bear in the oceans exhibit.) 

Then, two Alaskan Brown Bear cubs were orphaned in Alaska in 2008 because their mother had been causing trouble - attacking people and other trouble, and the Fish and Game officials were forced to kill her to protect the people. The Indianapolis Zoo became home to this brother-sister duo and there were bears again. As the bears grew up, so did our girls. This one looks like such a fun, touchable, huggable bear - but in reality, when you see its teeth, you know it is the real thing - not a toy from FAO Schwarz. 

We have seen this bear dozens of times. When we moved too far away to use our membership often, my Mom got herself one and now we go with her. We still go through the Forests exhibit almost every time we visit the zoo. While I wish I could some day visit Alaska (in the summer), to see the wildlife, in the meantime, I'll see the bears at the zoo and be reminded that God has put some amazing creatures all around the world. When I look at this picture, it reminds me of all the happy memories I have of taking the girls to the zoo. We rarely did any of the extra educational activities while there, and I don't think the girls ever wrote a paper about what they saw at the zoo. We went because we wanted to have fun. Sometimes Daddy went with us, sometimes Grammy went, and sometimes it was just us three girls. Always, there were fun memories to be made!

Ever since they were little we would sing this song with Daddy at dinner the night before:




Going to the Zoo by Peter, Paul & Mary

What is your favorite zoo to visit? Tell us in the comments below!





No comments:

Post a Comment