Monday, October 21, 2019

person



31 days of five minute free writes, emotional health

I was not the person I wanted to be.


That was my first realization about needing to address my emotional health. Not only was I simply too busy in terms of number of activities, I was staying too busy as a coping mechanism for not dealing with tough emotions.

Something had to change, and thankfully, it was me.

I have set some boundaries, and I am no longer afraid to say no to something that sounds good in order to have time and strength for something even better.

So who do I want to be? That is the 40 million dollar question! I want to be a follower of Jesus Christ, and I want my love of God to be evident in the way I treat all other people with respect and kindness - even, and especially, those who do not treat me with respect or kindness. 

I know that God has something important for me to do - but it may not look important to you - and I'm okay with that. My husband and I often disagree - that doesn't mean I've stopped caring for him, stopped loving him - it just means we disagree.

Part of this journey to emotional health was me learning that it is okay to disagree, and to speak my mind - as long as I did it clearly and respectfully. So no, you and I may not agree on the best color of paint, whose political candidate would do the most good, or what to eat for dinner - but we can do that with grace and respect. Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if more people learned those skills?!?

This person I'm becoming, that God is making me into, is different than I was before - and I like her!

What kind of person are you becoming?



1 comment:

  1. yay on your journey to liking who God is calling you to be. It's a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete