Thursday, October 17, 2019

consistent



31 days of five minute free writes, 31 days of October, emotional health


How can we learn to be consistent in our daily life? What steps should we be taking each day to lean into God and trust Him?

When I was a young wife, I heard an older woman from the church say she took time each morning to take her Bible, journal and tea and spend time with God. At that time I was working for the Post Office and regularly had to be at work between 1 and 3 a.m. You really can't get up earlier than midnight and still call it sleep. How was that going to work in my life? Simple - it wasn't!

But how could I learn to be consistent in spending time with God? I learned to read my Bible at night before going to bed. It was an off and on habit I had developed in college. I needed to get back to it.

Life ebbs and flows. Then two little girls came along and I truthfully cannot tell you when I read my Bible other than Sunday mornings at church, but I sure had a lot more things to pray about!

If you are struggling to be consistent in your daily time with God, remember this, it is not how much of Scripture you read each day, but how much it affects you that matters. Earlier this week I was reading in Acts 13. It wasn't the bulk of the chapter that made me pause and think about my own life. It was the one little verse at the end of the chapter. It talks about what happened after particularly difficult time that Paul and Barnabas had been having. Verse 52 says this:

And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Wow, just wow! If Paul and Barnabas could be filled with joy even at the end of a difficult time, then I can be too. 
Right now, it does not matter if I remember anything else from that chapter, because right now God is wanting me to be consistent in my time spent with Him. He alone can show how to be filled with joy, even during the hardest times.

No comments:

Post a Comment