Friday, October 4, 2019

listen


31 days of October, five minute free writes

Hear, O Isreal: the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Deuteronomy 6:4

Just as the nation of Israel needed reminders of whose they were, I needed reminders of who I belong to. I am a child of God. He cares for me. Surely the God who led the nation of Israel out of Egypt and through the desert to the promised land could lead me out of my emotional wasteland.

But first, I had to listen. I had to truly hear what God was speaking to me about and acknowledge where things had gone wrong. I needed to admit the reason my emotional health was so screwed up was because of choices I had made. Then I had to ask God for help, and the wisdom to make better choices going forward.

I had to learn once again how to listen to my family. I also had to learn how to respectfully set boundaries and make my own wishes and feelings known. It was a struggle for all of us at first, and some days still is. But, because I decided to take a step towards better emotional health, we are all doing better at truly communicating with each other. It begins when we decide to listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment