Monday, January 6, 2014

Avocados and me

Do you ever have one of those 'ah-ha' moments about something simple? Sometimes it seems funny to look back and see where you were before it, or how you did things differently.

I recently had one of those 'ah-ha' moments about avocados. I have enjoyed eating avocados while at my friends' houses for a few years, but was never brave enough to try it at home. Then, last year, when I made the decision to get some to eat at home, I kept struggling with how to best keep them. After all, what do you do with the other half of the avocado if you're not that hungry? 

So, I went to work learning about purchasing, ripening, and storing avocados. (Sometimes the endlessness of the internet can be helpful!) I am here to say I think I finally have it under control. I have figured out the right 'ripeness' at which to put them in the refrigerator and keep them longer, thus reducing how often they need to go on the shopping list.

BUT, there was still one remaining problem. The price. 

Since no one else in the family likes (or even wants to try) to eat avocados, it puts a dent in the produce budget to buy them just for myself. In my limited Midwestern scope of 'winter available' fruits and vegetables, they were ranking near the top of the price-per-pound scale. Ouch.

Then, one day, I was at ALDI getting a few things and noticed they have avocados, for ONLY 49 cents each!!! That is a much better price than the $1 or $1.25 each that the other local stores are charging. The quality was just as good, and the price was excellent.

When I left the store, I thought to myself, "How did I not know ALDI had avocados?" It reminded me of the line from the Adam West 'Batman' show "meanwhile, back at the Bat Cave." 

"Meanwhile, back at ALDI..."

I know, you all probably already knew about ALDI and avocados, but it's a new thing to me. Sometimes it does pay to shop more than one or two stores.

So there you have it, my 'ah-ha' moment was about avocados.

Today, after shoveling 8" of new snow in the bitter cold, I enjoyed a perfectly ripe avocado! Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment