Friday, November 10, 2017

Silence



five minute friday writing prompt, silence



Do you crave silence? If you find it, what do you do with it? When the girls were little it felt like the only time the house was silent was when we were all asleep. That was not a bad thing, I enjoyed the laughter and fun we had together, but there were times when I craved some silence.

Today the girls are grown, and often not at home. I find I have a different outlook when it is silent now then I did back then, because I better understand that it will not be too many more years until they will probably both move out and then it will be silent more often.

I guess the question I am pondering is what do we do with silence when we get it? Are we appreciating the fifteen minutes of silence when all the little kids are napping, or the five minutes of silence before our alarm goes off in the morning? What do we do with that time, and is it even possible to shut off the noise in our own brains?! 

I am what is termed a mild introvert. I do not mind being around people and going to events, but there is a small part of me that craves alone time, quiet, silence. 

Even when the world (or at least the house) around me is silent I still have this internal noise going on...what am I thinking of writing next, did I pay that bill yet, what's for supper? It seems like I cannot stop thinking long enough to be silent myself. I've been praying that God would help me understand when He meant when He said "Be still and know that I am God." Perhaps that silence in my brain is possible, and silence that contemplates God would be the best kind.



This post is my five minutes of thoughts on Kate's word of the week. Hop on over and see what everyone else thought about silence.








SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. The same verse popped to mind for this prompt as well. Praying you will find God in your silence.

    ReplyDelete