Friday, August 18, 2017

Speak

Today's Five Minute Friday writing prompt is: speak


speak, speech, five minute friday writing prompt


The heavens declare the glory of God;

    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.
Psalm 19:1-4



The Psalms tell us that the world around us speaks of God's glory. 

I must pause and check my own heart... do I declare the glory of God? Not often enough. 

There are so many ways that our actions speak about what is important to us, and then there are our words. Our words that should always be seasoned with grace. (Colossians 4:6) Our words that should be speaking the truth in love. (Ephesians 4:15)

My words have not always been kind recently. They definitely have not been pointing others to Christ as they should. 

Where does this leave me? 

On my knees, at the foot of the cross, where I find forgiveness once more. Where God's mercy and grace become my strength to move on, to walk again, to season my words with grace. My walk should be declaring the glory of God, and filled with grace and truth.

My words should be His words. With His help - they will be!





This song, by Matthew West, reminds me that God uses the broken things of this world to do His work.

5 comments:

  1. It is a daily effort, isn't it? The way I start my day affects my words and actions. It is always better when I begin with the Bible and prayer. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I must pause and check my own heart... "

    Why is this so difficult to do? Why is pausing and waiting for God to show me where I need to align my heart with his so hard to do?

    Thanks for your thought provokig post, Carol. You caused me to pause today and I am very grateful to you for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I suspect we do proclaim God's glory a lot more than we think. When we choose to overlook a slight, or let someone cut ahead of us in line, or buy lunch for the cop standing in line behind us at McD's, we're 'the action of proclamation".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, desire that my words...daily...point others to Christ! (and, so often, end up on my knees!)

    ReplyDelete