As a Mama who has spent the past 12 years educating her girls, these books have brought me encouragement, and have challenged me to continue on. If I were to give a gift to my younger self, it would be a box with these ten books, and a note to trust God - no matter what comes!
My 10 favorite books to read, and reread...
10. Dictionary - how many times has one of our girls asked me about a word, yet I only had a vague idea of its meaning? Lots and lots!
9. 101 Hymn Stories by Kenneth Osbeck - encouragement for the journey, and a song to sing while doing the housework.
8. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I also really like Persuasion, and Sense and Sensibility, but this is my favorite of all of Austen's works.
7. Beyond Survival, and Reaping the Harvest both by Diana Waring. Beyond Survival was my favorite when the girls were little, after about 5th grade you should read Reaping the Harvest.
6. The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tower - A reminder to seek God and follow His ways.
5. The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer - every Mama needs the reminder that she was a wife first, and her home and attitude should reflect God's beauty.
4. For The Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley - just read it!
3. A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola - My absolute favorite book about the actual process of educating your children and growing them up into adults one day at a time!
2. In His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon - This is my most often read book besides my Bible. I am blessed to have my Grandpa's copy and reading the story over and over again reminds me how his life followed Christ, and mine should too.
1. My Bible - If I had no other book with which to educate our children, this would be more than enough.
Only, always, Jesus!