Thursday, July 18, 2019

On Nature - also known as: What I do in my free time





You know that sometimes awkward minute when someone new is introduced to you and they ask you what you do? How do you respond? Do you tell them about your job, or your hobbies? Do you keep it brief, or are you one of those people who kind of wander around until you get to the point?

For me, it has been a challenge sometimes to know how to answer.

I'm a writer.

But I'm also a mom, a wife, and I work at Conner Prairie.

So my answer often depends on who is introducing me to them. If we are in a casual group, I usually say that I work at Conner Prairie. Then, if they live in the state, they probably have a memory of the last time they visited, or they ask me more about it because they've been thinking about visiting.

When I'm introduced in a business setting, I often respond that I am a writer. If they ask what I write, which people frequently do, I tell them the I am a monthly columnist for our local newspaper. If I am out of state I usually respond that I am a travel writer. I tend to keep it short, and then inquire about what they enjoy doing.

Even if no one read it, I would keep on writing. It has become a core part of who I am, this process of putting words and thoughts down on paper. Even if you don't see much going on here on the blog, know that I am still writing something, somewhere, for someone to read.

Do I have free time? Yes, and no. There is rarely a time when I am not thinking about what I might or will write next. When I take a walk through nature, either in the forest or during my lunch break at Conner Prairie, I am often ruminating on ideas for new writing pieces.

I prefer pen and paper when I write, much prefer it to typing my first draft. It feeds the creative bent inside of me to see words flow across a clean piece of paper.

So in my free time, such as it is, I write. Today I typed my next newspaper column right after lunch and submitted it just before I began a phone interview for another article I am working on. A day off from my job at Conner Prairie is often spent working on my own writing. This time by myself fuels my passion for words.

I realized that many of you are not local and might never have read one of my newspaper columns, so I am including links below to the most recent two so you can see how I spend part of my writing time. 

Please leave a comment and tell me how you spend your free time. 

It's good to have hobbies, sometimes they become passions, and then you pick up a new hobby...like drop spindling. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment