Saturday, March 30, 2019

Measure



It has been a while since I've been able to participate with my Five minute Friday friends. It is good to be back!

five minute friday writing prompt, Christian life, looking at the heart

As soon as I saw Kate's note that this week's word was Measure, the song from 4Him began playing in my head... do you know that one? The Measure of a Man. It's really old, okay not that old, but like 25 years old, which in today's music world is ancient. LOL!

How do we measure what is inside a man or woman? The Bible tells us that only God can discern the thoughts of our hearts. Yet, I've often read the phrase to "take the measure of a man" in books, so there must be something that helps us discern.

I think this measuring is by focusing on the fruit of someone's life. Now, no one is perfect, least of all me, so let's start with some extra grace.

If someone were to look at the fruit of my life what might they find to measure me by? I try to always speak the truth. Sometime that requires me to be silent because I have nothing helpful to say. I know that my words can bring joy and healing, or pain and arguing. Which words are being measured today?

I've also heard the saying that our character is "measured by what we do when no one is watching." Hmm... how do I spend those few quiet times? Am I spending it in prayer, or reading God's Word, or writing an encouraging note to a friend? These actions, or my lack of them, might figure into that measuring.

Daily I am thankful for grace. I want to be a person who is known for a generous heart and a kind spirit. May I allow God to mold me to be more like Him, so my measure would reflect His glory.



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you chose today to return to Five Minute Friday, Carol. I was inspired by your reminder that our words, actions and silences matter. While we all depend on grace, I agree that we should do right anyway. I particularly appreciate this call: "I know that my words can bring joy and healing, or pain and arguing. Which words are being measured today?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last bit, "so my measure would reflect His glory". A high, but worthy standard to be measured by.
    Thanks so much for sharing, and welcome back! FMF #54 this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I enjoyed reading this. Good questions to think through... how am I being measured today?

    ReplyDelete