Sunday, March 31, 2013

Thankful Thursdays (on a Sunday)-3/28/2013 - Easter

I have been pondering the many, many reasons I have to be thankful. The most important one is Jesus' resurrection that we celebrate today on Easter. Christmas brings promise, Easter bring fulfillment.

No matter what else I have (or don't have,) I am MOST thankful for Jesus paying for my sins. For doing what I was not able to do myself. For making a way for me to be reconciled to God. Whether I live with plenty, like Abraham, or lose it all, like Job, I can know that my Redeemer lives!

Growing up, our Easter morning church service always included singing "Up From the Grave." It is still one of my favorite hymns. I don't limit singing it to Easter time. It is a solid reminder of Whom I serve, the Risen Messiah.

This Easter, whatever your family's traditions, or lack thereof, allow me to leave you with these words from John Newton, who lived his early life as a slaver, sailing the Atlantic, and his later life in service to his Savior. May we remember his words, and the truth behind them, and be thankful!

"My memory is nearly gone,
     but I remember two things:
          that I am a great sinner,
               and that Christ is a great Savior."

-John Newton, 1807


No comments:

Post a Comment