Thursday, February 28, 2013

Contentment


Proverbs 19:23 states: “The fear of the LORD leads to life; Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.” 

How are you doing on being content? If you find yourself struggling to find contentment, let me encourage you to go back to the beginning of the verse... “The fear of the LORD leads to life.” Also, notice that the verse does not say we won’t have trouble, or we won’t be surrounded by trouble, it says we will be untouched by trouble. The trouble will not be able to remove us from God’s hand.


Spend your time and effort on fearing (revering) the LORD. Don’t spend your time comparing your life to the lives of others whom you think have more stuff, a better marriage, a newer car, a longer vacation, smarter children,etc. 

I have days when I get sidetracked, and my contentment level plummets. I was thinking last week about how my life would be different (or how I thought it would be different) if I didn’t need to work outside the home. Often I’ve asked God about this situation. His usual response is “My grace is sufficient.” Maybe someday my situation will change, in the mean time, I need to be content with the job He has provided. I also need to be thankful to have a job that treats me well and allows a lot of flexibility when there are so many people without jobs.

We live in a world where we are constantly being bombarded with messages about ‘more stuff.” Perhaps what we need is less ‘stuff’ and more God. 

When Paul was writing to the Phillipians, he told them “I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him Who gives me strength.” At times I want to focus on the second part of Paul’s message, being able to do anything through Christ. BUT, I need to read in context and understand what Paul’s point was. I can be CONTENT through any situation because of Christ. The next time I am tempted to want something, to try to convince myself that my wants are needs, I should be turning to Christ for strength to be content in what God has already blessed me with.

When Paul wrote to Timothy, he said “For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. I want that kind of contentment to rule in my life. I want to be able to distinguish between wants and needs, and allow God to change my heart so that I don’t have the desire for things that are outside of what HE wants me to have.

As we journey down this road together, let us encourage one another to look at our blessings, to focus our desires on God, not on things. Let us choose to desire a closer relationship with God over anything else. I pray that you are able to draw near to God and find contentment. Please pray the same for me.

Near the end of Hebrews I find great encouragement from these verses: ‘Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The LORD is my helper; I will not be afraid.”’

No comments:

Post a Comment