Friday, January 20, 2017

Refine

This week's Five Minute Friday writing prompt is: refine

GO!

Refine, Five Minute Friday writing prompt


Refine.

To make pure, to clean, to test for purity by fire.

As Christians a lot of our lives are spent in God's refining fire. That is a good thing! While it does not always feel pleasant at the time... frankly we sometimes feel hurt by it, however, in fact, refining does not hurt us, but makes us more like Christ.

How can I say with confidence  that God's refining fire does not harm us? Because it only burns away the dross...the impurities in our hearts and lives. God is making us more like Christ, and He promises in His Word that no one can snatch us out of His hands! Remember the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego from Daniel 3?

Refining is not easy, but oh ... so necessary. If God had not refined me, I would never have been ready to have teenagers. If God had not refined me, I would only react to their emotions with my own, and not with God's compassion and mercy. If God had not refined me, I could not be the wife that my husband needs. 

I want God to continue to refine me, because I know there is still dross in my heart that needs to be removed. If you have ever been around a smelting pot, or a refining furnace, you will know that it is hot, and uncomfortable. Yet, what emerges is pure, precious, worth cherishing.

When I heard today' word was refine, this song immediately came to mind:

Refiner's fire 
my heart's one desire 
is to be
holy
set apart for You Lord.

Stop.



4 comments:

  1. Love this. Found you on FMF. And one of my favourite songs.
    Blessings
    Janis
    Www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ...but there is dross in my heart too that needs to be removed..and somehow through it all he still loves us eh? A good thing that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful thing that He always loves us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Refining my heart needs done and I appreciate that God helps that process along by using wise words of friends such as you. Thank you. - Lori

    ReplyDelete