Monday, January 23, 2017

Blogging Through the Alphabet: Bibles

working and homeschooling, blogging through the alphabet, Bibles


Hello again!

This is our second week of Blogging Through the Alphabet with Annette and Amanda, and since we are going to stay focused on the blessings our family has encountered during our working and homeschooling journey, this week's topic is: Bibles

side note: Arlene commented that last week's introductory graphic was too busy, so I've tried to simplify them moving forward. I've kept the pink and black part of the original series title, and will be adding in a picture each week to make the topic (hopefully) easier to spot!

Bibles


I admit it, I am thoroughly spoiled when it come to access to God's Word! The picture above is from the five copies of the Bible that I have used the most in my Christian life over the past 30 years or so. They are the 1984 NIV, KJV, RSV, NKJV, & ESV. I also have a 1876 Holman family Bible that belonged to my Great-Great Grandfather, but it is so old I try to read my newer copies and just appreciate it for the family heirloom it is.

God's Word changes me 

Ever since I was given the RSV copy from our church when I got to the third grade, I understood there was something special about the Holy Scriptures. Today I make an effort to get myself reading God's Word every day. It hasn't been an easy change to go from occasional reader to student of God's Word, but it is a journey I am so thankful that God has me on!

I've read all the way through the Bible several times, I'm not sure, maybe six or seven times, however my normal mode of study is not to read through the Bible in a year. Many of my friends do that, but as a working and homeschooling Mama, I find I need to dig deeper to get to the meat of the Word each time and so I go at a slower pace. Oftentimes God points me to a particular book of the Bible to study. I have read through Romans and Ephesians more times than I can count, but I'll be honest, I'm not sure I've read and studied the Minor Prophets (other than Jonah)  much except those times when I've read all the way through. 

However you choose to read the Bible, just make sure you're reading it! Daily Bible reading seems hard for many people, because we have believed the lie that we don't have time for God's Word, but how will we ever know Him if we don't spend time with Him? Taking the five minutes each morning it requires to read a paragraph while you're eating your breakfast can make a huge difference in your life for the entire day!

A few of the times I've read through the Bible I took between 18 months and 2 years. That is a much more manageable timeframe for my life.  God's Word is what gets me through each day, every tough moment, and lets me truly rejoice in the blessings God has bestowed upon our family. It reminds me that: Every good gift, and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with Whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. ~ James 1:17

The Bible is my guidebook for this life, and the eternal life God has bestowed upon me thought His grace and forgiveness through Christ. My eternal life began the moment I understood my great need of Christ, humbled myself, and accepted His death on the cross in payment to God for my sins. So if you think about it, I'm actually living two lives right now, the temporal, and the eternal. This is a thought that sometimes awes me, and other times overwhelms me.  This is only possible through God's grace!

Each time I am overwhelmed by something that happens in my life, or a Scriptural teaching that seems impossible for my shallow self to reach, or my own failings, I am reminded by God's Word that: His grace is sufficient for me, for His power is made perfect in my weakness. ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9

If you have a Bible of your own realize how blessed you are! If you do not have your own copy, consider getting a print copy, even a used one from Goodwill or another secondhand store is a treasure. In the meantime, you can start reading God's Word on your phone with the Bible app, or online at Biblegateway.com



Come read more blogging through the alphabet posts: 

A Net In Time Schooling





SaveSave

9 comments:

  1. Carol what a wonderful post. We truly are blessed to have access to God's word. I make sure I read before my kids wake up in the morning so I can spend time without being distracted.

    Then I make sure that my kids see me reading it daily. However, I admit that my mind is everywhere when they are up and my mind isn't very focused. I think it's important that they see me reading His word daily. I hope that my kids see my example to always read their Bible daily.

    My first Bible was The NIV Study Bible that you have in your photo. Its falling apart but it was well loved when I first became a believer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say "yes!"? Such wisdom shared here. No matter how much time you make for God's word, it will bless you! Read and pray. Make the time. The power of the word is to change us and that it does. Thank you for such an encouragement tonight. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daily connection with God is so important. I am currently reading through The Message Bible with a small group of people on Facebook and it's very enlightening. I've decided to not "study" so much as just to read. We are so privileged to have such full access to God's Word. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! We love our Bibles here as well! In fact, this Christmas Little Miss (5) got her first "grown up" Bible and has had me reading to her every night from it. She can not sleep unless her "Bibie" as she has named it, is right next to her!

    Thank you for BLogging Through the Alphabet with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. I also love my Bibles and am quite spoiled to own so many. I read aloud to my kids morning and night from my favorite version, The New Living Translation. We are reading through the OT at night and NT in the morning. We are in Deuteronomy and Acts. I enjoy reading from both the Old and New Testament at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, dear Carol. No other book can change us simply by our spending time in it, memorizing it, praying thru it. An encouragement, a teacher, an uplifter---well, you know all that and more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use the KJV and I love listening to my children read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right. It is hard sometimes to make the time. I usually read in bed at the end of the day. I've fallen asleep with my Bible or Bible app more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so right, we are so blessed to have access to God's Word, especially when you think that there are other places in the world where it's not allowed. Each of us have our own copy of the Bible and I personally have three that I use regularly (not even counting the one I journal in).. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete