Friday, November 3, 2017

Need



five minute friday writing prompts, need versus want

When I woke up this morning and saw that today's word prompt was need, I knew I should be writing about need versus want. 

So often we say we need something, or we need to do something, when really it is just a want. May we become better stewards of our words and the attitudes of our heart to remember the difference.

I may say I need to tackle my to-do list that looks like this:
Blog post
clean off my desk
go grocery shopping
pay bills
read that book for an upcoming review
menu plan
work on ?????

But what I really mean is I want to do those things.

We have very few basic needs in this world: water, food, shelter, clothing, and love. And while I might want to trick myself into thinking I need to go grocery shopping or clothes shopping today, I know that there is plenty of food left in the house to get us through several days, and we all have sufficient clothing to wear...even if it is waiting to be washed. ;)

So what do we really NEED to do today? We need to seek out our Savior and ask Him for direction for our steps and our actions. Somedays God gives me the go-ahead and I work on that to-do list, and other days, He shows me the need to love someone who is particularly hurting that day, or my need to spend more time in His Word and prayer.

This entire day is God's, because I offered Him my life in exchange for His sacrifice. May I steward each hour well, with a thankful heart, knowing He has always provided all of my needs, beginning with salvation, and will continue to do so for eternity. 

Maybe, just maybe, this afternoon I'll get around to that to-do list, and maybe He needs me to do something for Him instead.




Do you remember this song written by Annie Sherwood Hawks and Robert Lowry? It immediately came to mind when I saw Kate's word for the week was up.

I need Thee every hour
Most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine
Can peace afford

I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior!
I come to Thee.





SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post, clarifying wants and needs, spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hymn!! Hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete