Friday, June 26, 2015

Thankful Thursdays - 6/25/15 - Learning to Sew

This week I was reminded again of how thankful I am that my Mom taught me how to sew. My Grandma taught my Mom how to sew. Grandma was a Home Ec teacher, and her Grandmother had been a seamstress. I am thankful to be able to continue this tradition of learning to sew with our own daughters.

sewing, thankfulness, teaching our children


Our girls both sew for 4-H, and occasionally just for fun. Several people over the years have told me that they wish they knew how to sew. Others have told me that they never learned how and did not want to learn. There are so many different things we could spend time having our children learn. It can be difficult to choose at times.

I am thankful for the opportunity to teach this valuable skill to our daughters Emily & Arlene. I do not know how long they will continue to sew after they leave home, but I am glad they know how. My Dad used to tell stories about how he earned some cash while at college sewing buttons back on shirts for the other men in his dorm. Apparently Dad's meager skills at buttons were far above those of the other guys, and they were happy to not have to purchase a new shirt.

Do you know how to sew on a button? Perhaps you've learned how to hem a pair of pants or a skirt? These are valuable skills. They come in handy often. I am so thankful our girls are learning to sew. They do a better job than they think they do!

What are you thankful for this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment