Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Hiding in Grace

Hiding in grace

Why do you do what you do? Why do you love your family, or give to neighbors? Why do you stand for peace, think of others before yourself, or teach children?

Sometimes we live by grace, and sometimes we live under the law. I am not sure how we get the two confused so often. Surely we should understand the difference. Yet, instead of hiding in grace, we often try to hide from grace, we run to the law as though it will hide us. The Law was instituted to point out our sins, to show us our need for Christ. The law is a taskmaster, grace is freedom in Christ. Grace is not freedom to do whatever we think of, whenever we want to, grace is forgiveness of our sin. Grace is freedom from ourselves and the mistakes of our past. Grace is the offer of forgiveness. 

When I was a teen, a Godly mentor explained grace as Great riches at Christ's expense. My life overflows with riches. Not the kind of riches the world seeks after, but the kind of riches that only God can give: peace, joy, contentment. I have never paid for those riches, Christ paid for them. I have received such a wondrous gift. Joy unspeakable.

If you are struggling with why you do what you do, perhaps you have forgotten the truth that "her sins, which are many, are forgiven - for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little." (Luke 7:47) When I stop and think about all I have been saved from, all I have been forgiven of, and all I have been blessed with, how can I not offer that same grace and forgiveness to others? How can my joy in forgiveness not well up to a heart that desires to serve others? Have you been forgiven much? Then love much!

When I find myself struggling with "Why" questions, it is usually because I have moved my focus off of Christ. If you are struggling today, ask God to reveal Himself to you again. Turn your focus back to Christ. Read your Bible, pray, spend time with other Christians. Think of all Christ has done for you. It may take a while, but you will walk away from the burden of the law, and into the joy of grace.

Do not hide from grace, hide in grace. 

May God be your comforter and shield, a strong wall to protect you in this world. May you love much as you shower grace on others!



1 comment: