Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving-Family

Thankful Thursday- November 22, 2012

On this day, and every day, I am thankful for the family God has blessed me with. I know that I am blessed to be born into a family that loves unconditionally. This Godly heritage has helped me realize just how much I have to be thankful for!

My Mother's family, which hails from all points across Indiana- in recent years, came to this country from various parts of England and mainland Europe. Growing up, it mattered not whose kid you were at the Thanksgiving table, you just knew it mattered that you were there, celebrating another year of God's blessing. In this family that lived out God's love DAILY, I learned a lot about looking on the positive side, looking for the blessings and not the evil that often surrounds us in this world. 

My Grandma Lucile was the oldest of ten children. Imagine what it would be like to turn 15 years old and know that you mother & father had given you nine younger siblings. My Grandma did not complain, she simply went to work on whatever task needed done. Grandma was a survivor. My Grandma lived through 2 World Wars, the Great Depression, tuberculosis, cervical cancer, and many other struggles. The last time I went to see Grandma before she passed away she said two things to me. When I asked her how she was doing she said "not so good." When I went to kiss and gently hug her goodbye she said "your hands are cold." Well, she was right on both accounts, I often have cold hands, I can't help it. It's not a disease, it's just the way God made me. My fingers are long, and my hands have always been the first part of me to get cold. So now, when you see me with gloves on when no one else has them, you'l know why. Grandma's first answer was also true. Grandma had Parkinson's, she was nearly at the end of her earthly life, and I know it bothered her to not be able to do or remember things she had been able to do just a few years earlier.

So what else did Grandma Lucile, and the rest of her family teach me? Love, acceptance, hard work, fun, joy, singing together, long walks in the country, a love of good, home-cooked food, and a host of other things.

One piece of advice Grandma gave me that I'm still trying to learn? "Don't nag your husband." I'm sure Kurt will be happy if I ever master that one! LOL!

So on Thanksgiving, and every other day of the year, I am thankful for my family! My Mom's family, my Dad's family, and Kurt's family.

Thank you for loving me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment