Saturday, September 1, 2012

Traveler


By Emily Emmert


I am a traveler. 
I’ve been to China, Australia, even the North Pole. 
I have been to middle-earth, Narnia, and Alegasia. 
I have seen trolls, pixies, and dragons. 
I’ve traveled with Marco Polo, Christopher Columbus, and Daniel Boone. 
I’ve been to the top of Mt. Everest, and 20,000 leagues under the sea. From the center of the earth, to beyond our solar system. 

I was at the Civil War, the World Wars, and all the revolutionary wars between and before. 
I’ve seen royal births, royal weddings and royal deaths. 
I’ve had tea with Queen Elizabeth 1 and Catherine the Great of Russia. 

I’ve been on covert missions as a spy, I’ve saved the world from aliens while helping the Avengers, and I’ve almost died numerous times. I’ve ridden in a train, a wagon, a space ship, a submarine, and a flying car. 

I’ve meet Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Sandman. I saw the transcontinental railroad, the Oregon trail, and the courts of Genghis Kahn. I’ve met Indiana Jones, seen the Ark of the Covenant, and gone inside the Aztec city of gold. I’ve been in the T.A.R.D.I.S., seen the end of the world, and man’s very first days. 

I’ve traveled the Caribbean as a pirate, gone to Neverland, and been to alternate universes. 
I’ve been on paths that go nowhere, that go forever, and ones that never go the same way twice. 
I’ve survived Canadian winter, a summer in the Sahara, and the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. 

I’ve dined with gods, kings, and generals. I was at the beheading of Marie Antoinette, there when Marie Curie discovered radioactivity, and when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon. 
I was there when the slaves were freed, women got the right to vote, and Abraham Lincoln was shot. And I have never left my living room. I am a book lover, a traveler in my own right, and I wonder where I will go tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment