Thursday, May 28, 2015

Thankful Thursdays - Bald Eagles, Clothes, and the Joys of Home Education - 5/28/15



Do you see those dark dots in the picture above? Those are bald eagles. I really planned to write about how much we love our library for the thankful topic this week... then God changed my mind.

Back to the eagles. There are SO MANY cool things you can do and see with your children, but I think one of the biggest joys of educating our children at home is ACTUALLY doing them. It's a mindset that says learning can happen anywhere, anytime. It was late on a Sunday afternoon when we went with a group to see the bald eagles come in to roost for the night. They don't often live in Indiana year round, but they do roost here overwinter. On this particular trip back in early March, we got to see a nest AND the group coming in to roost. I know of three bald eagle nest sites within an hour of our home, but the one on this trip was the only one where I've seen the eagle in the nest. Watching them come to roost for the night was awesome too, even if it was a bit cold. We are really thankful for the opportunities we have living in a place with such awesome state park employees who plan trips like this one. Just in case you're wondering, in Indiana you're much more likely to see Golden Eagles. They live here year round, and we have seen at least one of them a few times each year for the past 5 years or so.

On to the clothes...due to this thing called sin we all wear clothes. I am thankful right now that everyone in our family has enough clothes for the summer. Some of my blogging friends have been talking about capsule wardrobes. I am still debating if I want to trim my closet to actually fit that description. I really don't have a lot of clothes, but I'm wondering if maybe God has something else I'm supposed to be working on purging instead. Stay tuned for the next chapter. :)

Educating your children at home can bring tears and joy all in the same day. Who am I kidding, it can bring them in the same 5 minutes. I wouldn't give it up for the world! Have I done everything right? Hardly. Can God still bless our mistakes - definitely! One key point for us has been the ability to tailor material to help the girls. Each of them has strengths and struggles. In His timing, God has led us to the things we have needed to continue to challenge and grow them.

One more thing to be thankful for today - books. Right now I am reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer. Here is the line that I read earlier this week that has stuck with me the most: "The world is perishing for lack of the knowledge of God and the church is famishing for want of His presence." When was the last time you actively sought His presence? What a comforting thought that God is not done with me yet, and though I fail, He is faithful to forgive me and stands with open arms.

So many reasons to be thankful today!

No comments:

Post a Comment