Monday, October 7, 2013

The Haircut

Are you impulsive, or do you mull over decisions for a long time? For me, it's a little of both. Usually it depends on how long-lived I expect the consequences of my choice to be. 

An example? Choosing a new mattress. That's going to be around for 5 or 6 years . . . I'm going to take my time deciding. Dinner? A couple hours at most - so sometimes it's a split-second decision.

When it comes to my hair . . . that's a mid-term, multi-month commitment. So I think about it for at least a few days before I change something. This past week I got a haircut.

I know, I know, you might be thinking "whatever." Hear me out.

Sometimes we spend too much or too little time in our decision-making. It is often hard to keep our focus on eternal things when we live in a land of media telling us to choose the latest, greatest, instant-gratification thing.

Take a step back. If you've spent more time today picking out your clothes than you did reading your Bible, or talking with God in prayer - you've probably got a wrong focus. Your decisions will show it!

Spend time with God, not the world, and your perspective will get adjusted. Service becomes more appealing than being self-serving, life becomes more than a list of do's and don'ts, it becomes a joy.

So think about your decisions, but don't worry about them. Worry robs you of joy. Worry is sin. God knows your needs, and your desires. More importantly, He know HIS desires for your life!

Trust God to direct you in the big decisions . . . and the small ones too!

No comments:

Post a Comment