Friday, February 15, 2013

The snowflake

It started with just a snowflake or two, lazily drifting down. If it weren't for the dark trunk of the oak tree outside the window, I might not have even seen it. The snowflake was not in a hurry. 

Was I in a hurry? Maybe just a little. I had an appointment to take my vehicle into the shop to get an oil leak fixed. I still had a few minutes to spare, so I watched the snowflake on its lazy descent. 

Then I said goodbye to the kids & my husband and got in the truck. After having read Diana Waring's blog posts this week about the 'scenic route' through history, I decided to take the scenic route to the shop.

The snowflake had been joined by some others. Not a lot, but just enough to make a hazy view across the fields (the kind that makes you wish you had your camera!) The snow continued on its path, putting a light dusting on the miniature trees in the front lot of the Christmas Tree Farm, and coating the trees that hung out over the river on the back side of the state park.

God was reminding me that not all of my life needs be a race. Sprinting sometimes is necessary, but mostly the journey is one step in front of the other. 

On the ride home, the courtesy shuttle went through town. Stop lights, traffic, the ususal.

But I had seen a glimpse of peace. The simple joy of watching the snow fall. Today, I'll choose to remember that snowflake, and that God is with me, longing to grant me His peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment