Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Good Sale

We've all heard that there are seasonal sales we should take advantage of to provide for our families and save money in the long run. However, many families aren't loaded with extra cash and need discernment about what will truly be a good buy for them. One of my favorite, inexpensive, seasonal purchases is new pins. That's right, I said pins! As in "I need to replace the pins in my pincushion because I've been doing a lot of sewing." January has been my traditional time to buy new pins, and make sure I throw out all the old ones. Even with all the years I've been sewing, I still manage to hit the pins sometimes while I'm sewing. Now that both girls are also using the sewing machine(s), I know we need new pins even more this year than usual!


So, now that I've got you thinking, you might be wondering what to do with all the old pins so they don't stab you (or your designated trash picker-upper!) I like to take a strip of masking tape about 10" long, and place the pins, with the points in the middle, down both sides of the top half of the tape. We stagger ours on both sides, so when the top half is full & we fold over the tape to seal the points inside, it sort of resembles a large centipede with shoes on.


Shiny, straight new pins always makes me want to sew something! Are you feeling inspired yet? On a related note, Jo-Ann's has their Notions items 50 % off through Saturday the 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment